Friday 10 December 2010

Helen Mirren Says Her Good Looks Are 'Irrelevant'.

Even at 65 years old, Helen Mirren has often been named as one of the most beautiful Hollywood actresses. Mirren, however, hates all the fuss about her looks because it just adds to the pressure women already feel.

Asked how it makes her feel to be a beauty role model in her 60s, she said: "A bit cross, actually. We have to let go of this c**p. It creates even more pressure on women, and I certainly don't want to be a part of that. I'm not beautiful; I clean up nice.

"Why don't we talk about the fact, for example, that I just did Arthur, and the cinematographer was a woman, the film operator was a woman, the whole camera team were women? That's where we should be putting our attention. The fact that I look good at the age I am is bloody irrelevant."

Despite being lauded as a beautiful star, the British Oscar-winner reveals her background did not indicate she would end up an actress.

She told the Hollywood Reporter: "My father was born in Russia and came to England when he was two years old. So in a sense, I grew up the daughter of an immigrant. My parents had a love of the arts, but they came from a lower-income background. My father was a taxicab driver in my early days.

"Around about 13 or 14, I decided that I wanted to be an actress. I knew I wanted to engage in the world of the imagination, but it was not economically feasible for me to study acting, so I went to a teachers' training college."

No comments: