Tuesday 11 January 2011

Michael Douglas: "The Tumor Is Gone"

Michael Douglas has defeated his throat tumor like he said he would.

Douglas tells Matt Lauer: "I feel good, relieved. The tumor is gone."

The Wall Street 2 actor underwent extensive chemotherapy and radiation over the last year and lost a visible amount of weight. He says he's regained an appetite and is on his way back to a healthy place.

"I lost about 32 pounds," he told Lauer on a Tuesday taping of The Today Show. "And I've put about 12 back. But, I mean, I got another 20, 25 to go."

Douglas will have to be checked out on a monthly basis, but he says odds are that he is cancer-free.

"What I know about this particular type of cancer [is] that I've got it beat. I guess there's not a total euphoria. But it's been a wild six month ride," he says.

Douglas, who has kept a strong-willed mentality during his illness, says the support of family and friends -- including wife Catherine Zeta-Jones and his two young kids Carys and Dillon -- is what ultimately helped him in his fight.

"All of a sudden the affection from my family, from my friends, and from my fans hit me at a much deeper level than I would have ever imagined before. And it gave me a really new appreciation of just how valuable, how precious good friends are and family," he says.

No comments: