Sunday 30 September 2012

Tom Ford On James Bond's Skyfall Wardrobe.

TOM FORD says that he's "thrilled" with the results of dressing Daniel Craig as James Bond in the new Skyfall film. The designer has created the entire wardrobe for Craig in the film - Ford's second time working with the famous 007 franchise.

"I was very excited when I was first approached by [film producer] Barbara Broccoli about dressing Daniel Craig as James Bond," said Ford. "I worked with Jany Temime [Skyfall's costume designer] on creating the perfect classic wardrobe.  I have been dressing Daniel for some time and know that he looks best when simply dressed, so we did some beautiful suits, tuxedos and daywear. We didn't really modify our suits, as James Bond is a bit like our guy - classic and extremely elegant."
While we'll have to wait a month to see the results (Skyfall isn't set for UK release until October 22), Ford has already seen some exclusive advance footage of the film.

"The project has been going on for almost a year," the designer told Mode magazine. "After seeing the first clips from the film, I am thrilled with the way that Daniel looks in Tom Ford."
But while James Bond might scrub up well in a suit, who are Ford's own personal style icons?
"It's impossible to name all my style icons, but I am constantly inspired by Cary Grant and Steve McQueen. I am fortunate that every leading man I would love to dress wears - and buys - Tom Ford," he said. "Brad Pitt has been an extremely loyal customer since the onset of the brand, and I am happy to dress Daniel Craig, Tom Hanks, Johnny Depp, Ryan Gosling and Will Smith, among many many others."

There's no question that Ford's impeccable tailoring is a hit with the red carpet set - but he doesn't just boast a string of famous male fans. Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Gwyneth Paltrow and Anne Hathaway - to name but a few - have all been seen sporting Tom Ford womenswear, the most recent addition to his label.

"Of course, as a man, designing menswear is more personal to me - I design what I would like to wear," explains the 51-year-old. "Designing womenswear is a more frivolous endeavour for me as I am able to evoke more fantasy with the fabrics and colours.  I love designing both ranges and I wouldn't feel fulfilled without either of these outlets."
So what next for the fashion powerhouse? Certainly not a move to any other fashion house, that's for certain.

"Been there, done that," he said. "I learned a tremendous amount from my time at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, but I was always designing within an existing framework. In launching my own line, I am allowed to only create products that I believe in. Everything at Tom Ford is steeped in my DNA - it would be a step backwards for me now to go and design for another fashion house."

No comments: