Wednesday 23 February 2011

Helen Mirren: Not Having Children Was the Right Decision.

Helen Mirren has been married to American film director Taylor Hackford for 13 years, and although she's considered having kids in the past, she's sure her decision not to be a parent was the right one.

She explained to Saga magazine: “There were men in my life with whom I would like to have had children -- this lovely little thing as a memory of this or that relationship.

“But children grow up and become emotional attachments. They don’t want to see you and they behave like I behaved as a teenager."

The 65-year-old star also revealed that she decided against the "encumbrance" of becoming a mother because she wished to maintain her own identity and freedom.

She said: "I just want to be ‘me.' There is something wonderful about knowing I can do what I choose, work commitments notwithstanding, without encumbrance.

“I always did -- and still do -- value my freedom too highly."

Helen has previously confessed to having had a rebellious youth, including having a tattoo, which she admits was a drunken mistake done to shock people.

She said: "I was very, very drunk. It was a very, very long time ago, when only sailors and Hell's Angels were tattooed, honestly, and prisoners.

"I decided to get a tattoo because it was the most shocking thing I could think of doing."

No comments: