Monday 9 May 2011

Oprah's "OWN" Ousts Christina Norman As CEO, Searches For Ratings Boost.

Oprah Winfrey's OWN has a new CEO. Get the deets on the employment shakeups on the struggling network inside.....

It was recently announced that OWN's CEO Christina Norman will soon depart the network after 2 years on the job, and will be replaced by Discovery Communications COO Peter Liguori. Also interesting to note, The OWN channel is who replaced the Discovery Health channel in the first place.

The employment shakeup comes as sources report that OWN continues to struggle with its ratings and is burning through piles of money.

In a statement, OWN described Peter's appointment as "a transition from a launch phase to a more long-term focus on business and creative strategy, development and execution." The statement went on to point out that Christina did lead a "successful launch of the multi-platform joint venture."

Oprah released a statement about the move saying:

"I want to thank Christina for her important accomplishments, incredible passion and many sacrifices in helping to launch the network. With the final taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" only a few weeks away, I will soon be able to devote my full energies to OWN.

This is a natural point of transition, and I am confident that Peter, as an integral part of the launch of OWN, will be a terrific partner for me going forward. He is one of the smartest, most creative executives in media, and I look forward to his leadership as we build our development slate and work toward the launch of 'Oprah's Next Chapter.' Over the remainder of the year, Peter and I will work together to recruit a permanent CEO for OWN's next phase of growth."

Christina, who spent 17 years as the President of MTV Networks before moving to the OWN Network, had this to say:

"Joining OWN was a great opportunity, and launching it successfully and drawing more than 67 million viewers is one of my proudest achievements.


My thanks to Oprah and David for entrusting me with this brand and giving me the opportunity to launch OWN. As I move on to my next challenge, I am confident the strong foundation we have built will position the network to achieve great things.

OWN will soon add talk show host Rosie O'Donnell to the lineup hoping this will stir up some interest.

No comments: